Switch to HTTPS

Switch to HTTPS: https://t7j7l.blogspot.com/

Sunday, 16 August 2015

Re-install of iTunes triggered something dangerous...

On a peaceful night where iTunes couldn't detect my sister's iPod... I decided to reinstall the whole damn thing yet again. Problem is, Windows 10 immediately shuts down after booting when I restart following a routine repair install or complete uninstall of iTunes.

How do I know that? Well, I just so happen to have a system image handy, and every time I mess with iTunes after restoring it, Windows will not boot. After Googling this issue, I've come across this topic from a less fortunate fellow: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2107522/windows-boot.html
Turns out my sfc /scannow from the recovery media also says the same nonsense about a system repair pending!

I cannot access the good ole F8 menu thanks to Microsoft who believes we need to be spoon fed, so here is the fix for that: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-restore-the-last-known-good-configuration-feature-in-windows-8-1/
Other threads of interest would be:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/884d38e1-c87c-4549-9d06-7bb0fb929303/force-sfc-to-run-in-windows-7
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-running-sfc-scannow-error-there-is-a/365bd7f5-5558-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

So what did I do? Basically, I started getting the entire F8 menu back ASAP. On reboot after doing that, I noticed Windows is getting updates! That might actually be the root cause, other than all the iTunes cleaning I did with CCleaner winapp2.ini... Nope, still shuts down.

Now onto the actual troubleshooting: safe mode works but "sfc /scannow" fails to correct the problem. Neither did restoring last known good configuration... Advanced options startup repair said it couldn't fix the problem, but it somehow did anyways (like in my previous experiences).

After re-installing iTunes at last, the problem reappeared on reboot... At least this time restoring last known good configuration worked. Unfortunately the problem reappears again on reboot after I open iTunes to set it up. Yet another "sfc /scannow" in safe mode was futile.

Therefore I decided to go to advanced startup again, but this time to enter this into the command prompt:
dism.exe /image:G:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions (G drive since I have so many attached)

It finally worked! No problems on restart. Now I can finally get back to syncing some music... That's why Android is so much better, I don't even need a cable (see AirDroid) to add music to the system that will be recognized by all apps. *This article was typed on my Chromebook during the entire ordeal.

*iTunes was having trouble detecting the iPad, so on repair install the same damn thing happened. This time after dism.exe, I've run the following command in hopes of fixing this once and for all!:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=H:\ /offwindir=G:\windows

*Update 2: Nope, iTunes is officially messed up on this Windows 10 PC. I dread the next time I will need to reinstall it for whatever reason.

*Final update: While the boot issues appear to have gone, Apple Mobile Device USB Driver refuses to install no matter what I try. Only manual install of the drivers (Update Driver Software) showed any sign of why it's failing: "One of the installers for this device cannot perform the installation at this time".
That's it, screw iTunes altogether, even CopyTrans Drivers Installer won't work. Instead of bothering with a 3rd party music app that syncs via WiFi, or firing up my old iMac; I may just give up on Apple altogether and sell these iDevices I rarely use.

No comments:

Post a Comment