Switch to HTTPS

Switch to HTTPS: https://t7j7l.blogspot.com/

Monday, 13 April 2015

A match made in hell: legit Blu-ray movies on Windows, cloning to new SSD, and Pebble Watch 0xFE504502

Why the inactivity recently? Well, I was busy with a few things not including work or school. It turns out playing Blu-ray movies on Windows is a b*tch, as is cloning to a new SSD that is 2 GB smaller than my old one, and Pebble Watches can act like turds when out of battery for more than a day.

First of all, getting Blu-ray movies you bought to even play on your computer is not an easy task. First you need a Blu-ray player (thankfully my laptop came with one that I replaced for an OptiBay and put in an external enclosure). Then you need to set the player region. It's not done for me, and I couldn't do it without putting the Blu-ray drive back in and connecting directly via SATA. Then you need special software to even decode and play the thing. VLC will not work on all of them, including the recent ones I bought. I had to resort to re-downloading Corel WinDVD Pro, which I thought was unnecessary, and thankfully it remembers my license. So therefore, no lags and Blu-ray plays fine even in 3D! Because of the virtual machine used in BD+ encryption, my security software detects that as VM-aware malware and Aero has to be disabled by Corel. At least I can finally enjoy the movies I legally bought for free after skipping a bunch of ads...

Secondly, I bought a SSD from NCIX Vancouver. It had errors until I slow formatted it. Before that, I tried chkdsk /r, all sorts of Linux commands, zeroing out the drive and cloning with Clonezilla via Parted Magic, trying out Hiren's CD's Macrium Reflect and whatnot, etc. NCIX Surrey said because it passes basic formatting and read/write tests, they cannot offer me a full refund. Then they ave me advice about Macrium Reflect and whatnot, which still failed. I just cannot clone from my 119 GB SSD to my new 117 GB one for whatever reason (superblock error was given my CloneZilla, but Macrium said it's fine). It just wouldn't boot no matter how I repair using the Windows 7 installation USB and whatnot. Therefore, I've decided to move my Steam games, VirtualBox guests, music collection, and more onto that new SSD. That means both now have enough space to now show red on Windows Explorer anymore. Plus, I swear my virtual machines are 5x faster with no lag anymore.

Lastly, my Pebble Watch died and resurrected, both somewhat to do with church... It died when I went on a church trip without charging it or bringing a charger. After a few days, this error shows up whenever it has battery: 0xFE504502. I tried all the fixes, but it just won't boot! Recovery mode didn't work cause it won't even go there. So how was it fixed? Basically by me fiddling around with it in another church while listening to the sermons... Yes, seriously. I have a theory that the select button was stuck, and when I finally scratched on it and pressed it exactly on boot, somehow Recovery Mode was invoked. Then I re-flashed my Pebble, restored all the apps, and I'm good to go!

Sorry, no pictures this time since it's getting late (not that you ever needed one). It's strange how my luck works, it's either outright bad or surprisingly good with little in between... Anyhow have a good night as always, and sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment