Switch to HTTPS

Switch to HTTPS: https://t7j7l.blogspot.com/

Monday, 2 March 2015

OS X on a proper Mac at last!

Remember how I always seem to find cheap or free things locally? Well, today I got a 2.0 GHz, 2.25 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD iMac for only $90! It came with OS X Lion 10.7.5 pre-installed, but I decided to downgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6.8, because it is a lighter OS. Now what to do with this shiny old toy? Guess I'll make a list:
  1. Hot corners is a very useful feature. I was wondering how you can turn off the display without putting it to sleep lacking an eject key, and this is the answer. Also has other useful actions like going straight to the desktop.
  2. Parental Controls are even more advanced than the Windows one. I can easily set it up for my guest account, and limit which applications they can access organized in folders. Also allows me to block adult websites of course (more of a safety feature than anti-pr0n).
  3. Most of your favourite apps from Windows and Linux are still there! Examples include Chrome and VLC. What's unique about how OS X manages programs is that virtually all of them are portable until you copy it into your applications folder!
  4. A UNIX terminal is available, which is arguably more powerful than Linux's, and definitely better than Windows command line (or maybe even PowerShell). See BSD for similarities.
  5. A software updater and app store means all default apps and some third-party ones are automatically updated. Not as powerful as Linux package management which updates everything, but certainly better than Windows 8 app store.
  6. Integration with iOS is definitely a plus. I mean you get to share the same mail, calendar, messages, contacts, etc. with the second most popular mobile platform in the world!
  7. No licenses usually. That means you can install most software without worrying about where you put that pesky license!
  8. Time Machine creates an archive with multiple versions of all your files stored on a separate drive. That drive must be formatted first if using NTFS though. When booting from the installation disc, you can create and restore disk images of your HDD.
  9. I actually use neither, because they won't work with my limited memory and NTFS drive. I had to basically enable write support for NTFS, and use SuperDuper! read-only copy. To restore, you have to boot from the image itself, and then copy the files back to the source.
  10. Although newer versions of OS X have native Bluetooth support for my PS3 controller, I don't like all the setup when the Bluetooth master address changes, and I prefer connecting via USB. Therefore, this is the solution: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Ps3Controller
Hope you enjoyed my article as always, and don't be afraid to ask questions! I plan to master as many operating systems as possible to be truly cross-platform. So enjoy your night as always, zajian!

No comments:

Post a Comment